- Closing Date: Tuesday 9th May, 2023
St Wilfrid’s English Hub
St Wilfrid’s English Hub is one of 34 hubs designated nationally to deliver the DfE’s English Hubs programme, which offers support for schools to improve provision and outcomes in early language development, phonics teaching and developing a love of reading. As we move into our sixth year of delivering the programme, we are looking to expand our team of Literacy Specialists and therefore increase our capacity for offering support to schools.
We are looking to recruit passionate and experienced EYFS/KS1 teachers, ideally who have taken a leading role in improving early reading outcomes. There will need to be support from the headteacher to allow the individual to be released from school to carry out the Literacy Specialist role. The school would be paid for this release at an SLE rate of £350 per day.
Literacy Specialists will:
- Receive training and professional development as well as ongoing support from the Hub Lead.
- Meet regularly as an LS team
- Support schools by working with leaders and teachers, either on an intensive basis (partner schools),
with an average of 6 days of support across the year, or on a lighter touch (fewer days) basis
- Support leaders to implement the DfE ‘Challenge Checklist’ – a list of objectives for early reading
- Coach leaders and teachers to improve the quality of Systematic Synthetic Phonics and early reading
- Ensure their own practice is strong and phonics and early reading outcomes in their own school are
Time commitment and home school expectations
Literacy Specialists will be seconded from their home school for the following time:
- Termly Literacy Specialist team meetings
- 3 Training Days per year
- Half termly virtual progress meetings
- An agreed number of support day in schools
Home school headteachers will need to commit to:
- Ensuring the required release time for carrying out the LS role is given
- Supporting the specialists to develop and embed effective early years and phonics practice in their
own school, ensuring that sufficient release time is given for this
Application forms and person specification can be downloaded from https://stwilfridssheffield.co.uk/vacancies/
Please submit a completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org, by Tuesday 9th May, 2023.
The recruitment process will involve an interview and an opportunity to visit and see candidates teaching phonics in their own school.
The Governors of St Wilfrid’s Catholic Primary School are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. The applicants will undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers. The role is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and therefore candidates will be subject to an enhanced DBS certificate. The role is engaged in regulated activity and will therefore require a children’s barred list check. Shortlisted applicants will be required to complete a selfdisclosure.
The safeguarding policy can be viewed at https://stwilfridssheffield.co.uk/wpcontent/uploads/2022/02/Safeguarding-Policy-2022.pdf